Friday, October 26, 2012

Low Fat Creamed Spinach

Happy Weekend!  Looks like we'll be saying goodbye to the warmer temperatures and welcoming sweater weather.  I love bundling up when it's mildly cold - still warm enough to play outside but brisk enough to warrant a big mug of hot chocolate.  Cute red noses, chilly hands, chili in a bowl, hot cocoa, nice brisk run in the early morning, time change, Christmas songs on the radio, Thanksgiving, Nutcracker, wrapping gifts, giving gifts, Christmas, parties... oh, I love it all and it's here!!

I finally found my pumpkin creamer at Publix and took every last one they had... to the tune of 6 bottles.  Mmmmm... I'm drinking a cup now and loving every little hot and creamy sip!



I went to the grocery store on Monday - actually, I went to my old Publix which I love so much (I know that I've already told you how amazing this Publix is) - I call it the boutique Publix because they treat their customers like royalty - everyone is so nice - asking you at every turn if you have found everything - taking your groceries to the car... it's a fabulous grocery store experience, I must say.  Anyway... I saw Pam, one of my old "neighbors" (we lived in the same neck of the woods before we moved), at Publix and I asked her what she was making for dinner that night.  She said salmon.  I asked her how she cooks it and she told me.  Shortly thereafter, I made my way to the seafood counter and bought two big salmon filets. 

Pam, thank you!!  We had the best dinner that night!  I cook seafood typically only at the beach and if I make fish, I usually grill it or sear it in a skillet on the stove.  Seafood is just not something I usually cook here, but thanks to Pam, I think I'll be cooking it once a week!

Per Pam's instructions, I turned on the broiler on my oven, sprayed a cookie sheet with Pam (ha!),  sprinkled the fish with salt and pepper, and laid it skin side up on the cookie sheet.


I broiled it for a few minutes (I had to set my timer because I am the queen of putting something in the oven and totally forgetting about it.  When Matt and I were newly married, I remember a time when, before work, I got up and cooked eggs and bacon and biscuits - you know, trying to show him what a good wife I was... we ate the eggs and bacon but I forgot about the biscuits and when I got home from work that afternoon, they were black and the size of marbles.  I've used timers ever since.).  When the skin started bubbling up, I removed it with a fork.


I then sprinkled some salt and pepper on that side and continued to broil for about 3-5 more minutes before flipping it over.  I kept checking it and ended up broiling it for close to 18 minutes or so - they were pretty thick which I suppose is why it took so long.  But it was a heavenly piece of salmon!  Champ and I devoured it. 

I made some healthy creamed spinach and ate my salmon alongside that.



Let me preface this by telling you that I am a HUGE spinach lover - I love it raw - I love it sauteed - I love it with eggs - I love it with steak - I love it in a salad - I love it creamed... mm mmm - I love it!  I defrosted 2 packs of frozen chopped spinach and then squeezed most of the liquid out of it.  I put the spinach into a pot on the stove and added about 1/2 block of cream cheese and a little skim milk.  I just added and stirred - added some more and kept stirring until it looked and tasted just perfect for me.  I also sprinkled some fresh nutmeg, salt and pepper on it.  I let it cook with the lid on for about 10 minutes so that the spinach got good and cooked through - and soft.  It was HEAVENLY!  It reminded me of the creamed spinach that Chops serves.  It was delicious!! 

In fact, Brooke and I are on our way to the grocery store and I am going to by several packages of frozen chopped spinach!  It's inexpensive, easy, and SOO good for you!

No comments: