Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas Cookie Recipe

I'm sitting at my desk this morning listening to Christmas music (Comcast channel 933) after a nice walk in the Spring temperatures outside.  Feels weird!  I love, though, how it at least LOOKS like Christmas time outside. 

Champ and his friend, Drew, just came barrelling downstairs to discover Lewis' latest antics.  Lewis and Drew's elves got ahold of some red lipstick and wrote all over the windows of our front door.  Crazy!  Now mama gets to clean it all up...  Yesterday, Champ woke up to find his own toes painted red and Lewis beside his bed with my nail polish, cotton balls, etc.  So funny!  I can hear them talking about their elves in the kitchen and giggling.  I love it!  Such a joyous time of year....

I have a fun cookie recipe for you.  I don't know from where it originates as I was handed the recipe when I signed up to bring cookies to Matthew's school's teacher appreciation brunch.  They look like this:


As I was making these one day while the kids were in school, I thought that it would be super fun to have little helpers - lots of fun steps in this recipe. 

First, I made the sugar cookie dough.  I unwrapped the Hershey kisses. Aren't they pretty!?  They are quite dangerous in that if you sneak one, go ahead and prepare yourself that one ain't gonna be enough.


Then I colored the sugar.  Have you ever colored sugar?  It's so fun!  Just pour in about a cup or so of sugar and add a few drops of food coloring to it.


This is a fun step for the kids.  With the back of a spoon, mix and mix and mix until it becomes the desired color - and if you want it darker, just add more food coloring and mix and mix and mix again!


Make small little rounds of cookie dough and toss them into the colored sugar.


 
Put them on a cookie sheet and bake.  When they come out,
 


let them cool for 3 minutes.  You are going to add striped candy cane Hershey kisses and if you add them too soon, they lose their shape.  This is very important as the first batch I only let cool for about 1 minute and this is what the cookies ended up looking like:


Tasty... but I ended up taking that batch to the bus stop for a little after school treat for the kids.


Super easy - fun to bake with your kids and very pretty!  Have fun making cookies for Santa!

Click here for the recipe.

And one more thing.  Thanks to my friend, Chris, I have enjoyed the emails I get (daily) from One Kings Lane.  Go to www.onekingslane.com.  They have GREAT deals all the time on everything.  Today, they had hundreds upon hundreds of kitchen items on sale - a set of three paring knives for $15.00, for example.  Many of their items are very well and reasonably priced.  Other items are so expensive that I can't even believe anyone would actually buy them - like a $10,000 lamp or something like that.  But they have everything from house items to books to furniture to yard accessories.... very cool site.

Enjoy your day!






No comments: