Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Squash Casserole - the MOST Delicious You've Ever Tasted!

I love casseroles - I'll admit that.  Especially good creamy, full of fat ones.  But I don't let myself eat them a lot and I don't make them often - for two reasons:  they can be pretty unhealthy and I have a VERY picky eater who likes to have the each item on his plate be a separate entity.  If I put a serving of casserole on his plate, he immediately begins to move his fork around as if he's dissecting a frog... well, that doesn't make a chef feel good, so I pretty much avoid them all together at my house. 

Take me out of my house and put me with a new crowd, and I have no fear.  This squash casserole is a side dish.  I got this recipe years ago from my (dear) friend, Kerri.  It's so delicious that I can't help but eat multiple servings in one sitting.  While my crew wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot fork, my sweet nieces and nephews lapped it up on Saturday night.  And they repeatedly said, "Aunt Christa, your squash is sooo good!"  Warms my heart and I may have even puffed up my chest a little bit as a result of all the complimenting :). 

Super easy - very quick to throw together - perfect as a side to chicken, burgers, pork, etc.  And just delightful served in a bowl by itself with a little hot sauce the next day.

First cut up your squash and onion.  I sliced the squash and chopped it roughly - no need to peel as the skin gives it nice texture.  I chopped the onions finely (is that a word?).  Throw the squash and onion in a little bit of chicken broth and bring to a boil - then simmer for about 10-15 minutes. 



While that is cooking, make one cup of brown rice.  (I cook mine in low sodium chicken broth for added flavor - and I use the Minute Rice brown rice version because it cooks so quickly). 

Strain out the broth and put the squash and onion into a bowl - mash it a bit with a fork.  Then add your rice, sour cream, sharp shredded cheddar cheese and a little parmesan cheese.  Mmmm... the picture below makes my mouth water.

 
Add one egg and give it one last stir.  
 
 

 Sprinkle a few bread crumbs on top and pop it into a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. 

Oh, it's heavenly!  It's got perfect texture and it's deliciously creamy.  Here it is on my plate. 


If you have a family of big eaters, you will want to double the recipe.  Click here for the recipe. 


No comments: