Friday, June 1, 2012

"Vacation" and Greek Turkey Burgers

I have been away on "vacation" which is why it has been a while since my last post. You'll notice that I put "vacation" inside quotation marks...for good reason, friends, for good reason.  Read on.  It all started so smoothly with a lovely car ride down to Amelia.  Travelling for six hours with a 20 month old is never easy.  I packed a bucket full of goodies - tape, Color Wonder markers and drawing pad, fruit snacks, pipe cleaners, toys.... and off we went.  Brooke did great!  We arrived at the beach to a beautiful afternoon, so out to the ocean we went!  Matt and Champ surfed while Brooke and I frolicked on the beach. I had fun snapping lots of pictures.





I tucked her in that evening, enjoyed a glass of wine, went to sleep and then the madness began.  She woke up around 11 and called for me.  When I went into her room, she had thrown up all over her crib.  She proceeded to throw up every 20-40 minutes for the next 8 hours.  So sad. We stayed inside the next day recovering from the night (please note that this was the most beautiful day, weather wise, that we had while down there).

Two nights later Tropical Storm Beryl came to town.  Having not grown up on the beach, the tropical storm was a first for us.  Long story short, I spent most of the night either praying to God, begging Him to spare us, or rocking Brooke who was totally freaked out by the sound of the intense rain and wind (our power went out earlier that night so the noises from outside were magnified).  We woke up the next morning and there was debris everywhere - trees down, leaves and limbs all over the place.  It was crazy!  So, we were glad to have made it through that - AND...we still had another day of vacation - it wasn't over yet!  Unfortunately, it rained all day long, but we made the most of the it.  We had some ice cream and just enjoyed hanging out.


On our last night, about an hour after we went to sleep, I was awakened by Champ's voice..."Mom!  I think I'm about to throw up!!"  Champ was racing to the bathroom where he proceeded to spend the next twelve hours - throwing up.  Once he was finished, we loaded up the car and home we went.  I've never been so happy to leave a "vacation" behind.  It really didn't feel much like a vacation, which is why I put quotation marks around it.

We arrived back home and back to the crazy summer baseball season it has been... practices, tournament games, carpools, washing uniforms, etc.  Because of all the sickness that attacked us at the beach, we thought it best to take advantage of the fact that Matthew hadn't been exposed, so he stayed an extra night with Mimi and Papa and then spent the night with one of his teammates.  Thursday afternoon, Matthew called me as he was about to leave to head up to his game... "Mom, I just threw up." 

Seriously?

When he called, I was 30 minutes north of the city at Champ's game.  I left and drove back down to pick him up and spent the next 12 hours changing towels and sheets and trashcan liners. 

At this point, one must just... laugh.  No sense in getting upset over it - it has just been a string of unfortunate events - all of which are a gentle reminder that we are not in control.  God takes care of it all and doesn't hand us that which we cannot handle - we must go with His flow.... That said, I'm about done with this throwing up business.  No more, please!

I did manage to make some little Greek turkey burgers and tzatziki  sauce.  My dear friend, Kerri, taught me how to make this and they're so delicious, easy and nutritious!  If your kids are picky, they may not like this - Matthew won't touch it - Champ will eat it.  Matt and I love this dish.

This is one of those recipes that I don't really have a formal recipe for.  I just put in whatever I'm in the mood for.  I take one pound of ground turkey (not ground turkey breast - just regular ground turkey) and add one egg, about 1/4 - 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, lots of oregano, lots of Cavender's (Greek seasoning), and chopped green onion (white and soft green parts only). 



Then, I make little slider size patties and place them in a hot skillet with extra virgin olive oil.  I cook them until done - about 7-8 minutes a side.


While they are cooking, I make the tzatziki sauce.  I used about a cup of low fat plain Greek yogurt, juice from one whole lemon, Oregano (to taste), salt, pepper and Cavender's (all to taste).  I stir it up and it's ready to go!


When the patties are done, I put them on a plate to cool.


I usually slice them in half lengthwise and put them into a pita and drizzle the sauce over it.  For myself last night, I didn't want the bread, so I just placed two patties on top of some mixed greens with the sauce on top. 


It was delicious!!

Enjoy!

As I sit here at my computer on a Friday night with all three of my little chickens in their beds, it is my hope (and my prayer) but not necessarily my expectation... that we have a healthy and safe weekend - that we can get through all the games and back and forth from tournaments safely and sanely. 

Hope your Summer is off to a better start than ours!








No comments: