Monday, May 21, 2012

Distraction and Stuffed Peppers

It has been a little over a week since my last blog.  I've been really busy with work.  I went to Peachtree City for the triathlon that was on Saturday.  We had about 40 employees from Children's who competed in the race.  What was so great about the race was that it offered two distances - a super short distance called the Super Sprint and a longer distance which is called the International or Olympic distance.  It was so lovely to see so many people and families involved in this race.  I decided on Saturday that next year, my whole family will do this event.  The Super Sprint is a 300 yard swim, 8 mile bike and 2 mile run - VERY do-able for a new triathlete, be it child or adult.  And wouldn't it be great to do something like this as a family?  For me, it really grew that desire for our family to do something like this together - it was an EXPERIENCE from start to finish - to see 11 year olds running out of the lake to then jump on their bike - what a sense of accomplishment they must feel!!  I urge you to consider it - be good role models for your kids as far as health and wellness are concerned - grow their confidence and sense of accomplishment. 

Alright - I'm stepping off my soap box  now.  So, another reason I have not blogged, in addition to my crazy work week, is that I have been engrossed in the story of Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele.  Those of you who know this couple know how....um....engrossing their story is.  I'll leave it at that. 

Last weekend, we got home after a long day at the baseball field and I really wanted stuffed peppers, but it was so late that I didn't think I would have time to prepare and cook them to end up eating at a normal hour.  Just as I was about to pull something out of the freezer, I decided to see how quickly I could get them done.  And within 45 minutes (including cook time), I had a wonderfully delicious and healthy meal ready to be eaten!

I did not use a recipe - just a little of this and a little of that.  But here's what I did.  I browned a pound of ground beef.  Then I added tomato paste (a few TBS), salt, pepper and oregano, and a can of drained petite diced tomatoes.


I cut the tops off of my red peppers and scooped out the seeds from the insides.


I cooked one cup of brown rice in chicken broth.


Then I added the rice to the meat mixture.


I scooped the meat/rice mixture into the bell peppers and topped with freshly grated mozzarella.


I put them into a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, which honestly wasn't long enough.  The bell peppers were still pretty crispy.  Next time, I will place the bell peppers in a Pyrex that has a little water covering the bottom and cover them would foil so that the peppers steam a little bit.


Aren't they gorgeous?  They were delicious - super good for you and very easy!!  Enjoy!


No comments: