Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

I only have a few minutes before we head to the farm.  I've told you many times how much I cherish my early morning runs - for a multitude of reasons.  Sometimes I run with friends and it's great to catch up and bounce things off of each other - related to parenting, friends, Christmas gifts or whatever is on your mind.... (miss you, Debbie!).  And on my solo runs, it's nice to spend some time in prayer - I have found that it's a wonderful time for prayer - sometimes I end up praying for 30-40 minutes.  I had a run like that this morning where I was talking to God - thanking Him for His many blessings to me and my family - praying for all sorts of different people.... it was really nice.  I highly recommend it!

The morning is the time of day I most cherish.  I have found that I depend on it - for quiet time, to get some things done, to clear my head, to enjoy my first sips of hot coffee.... Anyway, my boys are already bustling around the house in anticipation of getting to the farm, so my quiet morning time - today, anyway - is no more. 

My contribution to the Thanksgiving meal this year?  Well, we did our annual drive through at Popeye's Chicken for the Cajun Fried Turkey.  I picked up a giant container of green beans (I think it must be about 10 pounds - it serves 24).  I'll doctor those up with some chicken broth, parsley, oregano, thyme and a little butter and let them cook all day.  I'm also making an artichoke dip and sausage cheese balls for an appetizer.  (talk about needing a run!)

<Trying to insert picture but I'm having technical difficulties>

My favorite thing to do with leftover turkey is put it on a salad with excellent salad dressing.  We had a potluck lunch last week at work (so fun!) and a co-worker (male coworker, actually, which makes it all the more impressive!  Not sure Matt could whip up a salad dressing if his life depended on it.  Love you, toots) made the most wonderful salad.  It consisted of mixed greens, pecans, thinly sliced celery, creamy blue cheese and thinly sliced apple. And the mustard dressing made it all come together so nicely.  I went back for that salad 3 times and yes, I felt guilty about eating the majority of it, but it was soo good. 

<Trying to insert picture but I'm having technical difficulties>

Turns out, the dressing is from Ina Garten, whom I have grown to just love.  At first, I thought she was a little flat and on the boring side, but I have really come to enjoy her calm demeanor and her recipes are great! 

Click here for the salad dressing recipe. 

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!  Hoping to get the picture issue resolved here shortly as I know I'll have many to share with you when I return!



No comments: