Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Chicken Taquitos

This blog has become something of a relationship for me.  The more attention I give it, the better it is.  When it's neglected, the space between us grows and grows - sometimes I find myself speaking telepathically to my blog as I pass by my computer, "I'll sit down with you soon, I promise.  Maybe even tonight after the kids are in bed..."  But then the kids go to bed and I come back downstairs, some nights I pour myself a glass of wine and if I take a second too long to wind down, it's like my whole body fills with lead and I can't move a muscle, much less type. 

So, here we are, over a week since my last post - maybe even 2, I'm not sure.  In any event, I do love blogging and sharing the little that I do.  Before we hit the Paleo update and a recipe, allow me to let you in on a few random thoughts of mine as of late:

Some days, I'd like to ship my pre-teen away and pick him up when he's 28, married and has his first child.  Do you ever feel like that?  I have a pretty thick skin, but boy, I can tell I'm going to have to really grow it a little thicker to withstand the beating I expect it to take over the years.  Just the typical attitude stuff... moments of pure goodness and innocence and then moments when I wonder if we need to perform an exorcism to release the beast from within...  

As much as I love - and I mean LOVE - being outside on a nice afternoon like the 70 degree one we had earlier this week, I am hoping and praying for a week straight of cold temperatures - and I mean ICY cold - so that we kill off some of these viruses that are going around - kill the little bugs in the air - just clean things out...

Did you know that Georgia is one of only 9 states which allows a man to change his name upon marriage?  Other states include:  California, New York, Hawaii, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Oregon, Iowa, North Dakota.  Brad Jolie, Tom Holmes (back when they were together), Chris Paltrow... has a nice ring to it, ey?

I'm completely 100% in love with my Vita Mix blender.  I've made breakfast smoothies for the kids and after school smoothies, all made to order, but when they're not looking I throw in things like nuts, vegetables, protein powder - I feel like a good witch - ha ha!  My favorite is my strawberry smoothie - plain Greek yogurt, a handful of roasted almonds (no salt), a handful of frozen strawberries, a drizzle of honey, almond milk, a splash of vanilla extract and sometimes a little bit of protein powder... fabulous and filling and the kids love it!  It's pink, so Brooke thinks it's especially suited for her. 

I sneak Christmas music every now and then - at my desk at work or in my car when I'm by myself.  I find it so calming and it truly, as I've written before, fills me with joy and peace. 

Enough with the random thoughts!  Let me update you on the way I am eating.  Four weeks have passed since I removed all gluten from my diet.  I ate the Paleo way for about 2 1/2 weeks and then I got a little tired of how limiting that diet is, so I began to add in some gluten free foods - like dairy and corn tortillas, some gluten free crackers, etc.  Then I picked up the book, WHEAT BELLY, and it is proving to affirm for me my decision to remove gluten from my diet.  The book is astounding. If nothing else, it will cause you to really look at what you put into your mouth.  I'll leave this topic with this thought - just because the foods on the shelves of our grocery stores have been approved by the FDA doesn't mean they're safe for you.  Whole grain is not necessarily GOOD for you.  I urge you to pick up a copy - might be the best thing you ever do for your health!

And let me tell you about my neighbor who's daughter was just diagnosed with Celiac last week.  She used to have random episodes of throwing up and stomach pains.  She had eczema.  Eight days eating gluten free and her eczema is gone and she no longer has stomach pain or throws up.  Seeing something like that first hand is, for me, evidence, that there may just be something to this whole gluten free push.

Physically, I feel wonderful - not ever so full that I feel bloated - I don't experience dips in energy like I used to experience.  I don't really crave food.  I eat when I'm hungry and have really come to enjoy the flavors of healthy foods like plain fruits and vegetables and meats.  Now, you know me... I love to eat and I love to cook.  Bare in mind that I will always allow myself the joy of veering off the straight and narrow path that the gluten-free diet has paved - and if I'm dying for that piece of caramel cake, I'll enjoy some!  Or when I can't resist a brownie, I'll let myself indulge.    

Out of the cookbook, Weelicious, that Allison gave me, I made the yummiest, most fun meal the other night.  The kids loved it - we all loved it!  I think this was the first meal that I made that was gluten free but not Paleo - so Matt and I thought we were in heaven as we bit into our crunchy corn tortillas filled with chicken and cheese.

This is an easy, quick, go-to-in-a-pinch kind of a meal.  First you cook your chicken.  I boiled a couple of bone in chicken breasts until they were cooked (I like to simmer mine in water for 2 hours with the lid on so they get nice and slow cooked and tender).  Shred the meat with two forks.  When you are cooking chicken for this recipe, cook extra so that you can go ahead and shred it and put it in the freezer for a meal later on. 

Mix together the shredded chicken, garlic powder, salt, cumin and shredded cheese.  



Heat your corn tortillas so that you can work with them. If you try to roll up a corn tortilla without heating it first, it will break or crumble.  I took two wet paper towels and put two tortillas in the middle of them - microwaved them for 20 seconds and then put about 2 TBS of the chicken mixture inside each one.  Place them on a cookie sheet, seam side down.




After they were all rolled, I sprayed them with PAM and popped them in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.   

They came out crunchy and delicious.  I made some guacamole to go on the side - and I served them with guac, sour cream and salsa and a salad on the side.  Huge hit!!





Enjoy these super easy, kid-friendly and delicious taquitos!  Click here for the recipe.

No comments: