Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year's Resolution and Lemony Brussel's Sprouts

Happy New Year!  I hope that you and yours enjoyed the holidays!  I felt like I really soaked up each and every minute of the holiday enjoyment there was to have.  But it still went by too quickly!  I took a lot of time off work and really loved being home with the kids.  We stayed busy between ice skating, shopping, our traditional holiday get togethers, the Nutcracker, spend the nights, a farm trip... We have much to be thankful for, that's for sure!  I've taken Christmas down - Matt and the boys enjoyed burning our "shrub" of a tree in their little fire pit in the backyard - the ornaments and table decorations are back in their boxes in the basement resting up for Christmas this year.  Thank goodness that Comcast channel 933 is still playing Christmas music!  It helps ease me out of the holidays. 

Over the break, I learned a new Brussels sprouts recipe from Allison, my sister-in-law.  I served this alongside my beef strogonoff and it was the perfect side dish to accompany the creamy rich main dish.  It paired well because this Brussels sprouts recipe is fresh and light and full of lemony and herby flavor (like those two words?  Just made them up).

There isn't a real recipe for this - one of those that calls for a little of this and a little of that - but when the sprouts, lemon juice and herbs come together, it really makes a great dish!

Wash your sprouts, peel off the tough outer layers, and if they are medium to big in size, cut them in half.



Put them in a bowl and squeeze a bunch of fresh lemon juice over them all.  Then chop up fresh thyme, sage, and rosemary. 


Stir it all together, throw some plastic wrap on top, put them in the fridge and let them marinate for 1-2 days (the longer the better!).  I stirred them up every so often throughout the day - just whenever I was going into the fridge for something. 

When you are ready to bake them, put them on a cookie sheet and spread them out - drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over them all and put them in a 400 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes. 

 

When 10-15 minutes is up, take them out and add some fresh pine nuts and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. 



Bake them for another 5 minutes.  Serve immediately. 

They are so fresh tasting and delicious! I ate the leftovers for breakfast the next morning.  They were delicious!  (and pretty!).

For the first year in many years, we did not make New Year's resolutions.  We have traditionally written down pages of things we want to work on - for the kids, it's typically things like making their beds every day, not fighting with each other, making good grades, etc. And for us, it's usually related to health and things like that.  What ends up happening is our list is way too long and therefore we can't focus on just one thing - we never end up keeping them and blah blah blah - it seems pointless to keep making them.  It's better, I think, to focus on one or two things. 

So while this isn't a resolution, we have decided to try a new way of eating for 30 days.  After a month of eating everything I wanted at any time - whether hungry or not - (I'm surprised I don't have diabetes at this point - perhaps I do but don't know it yet).... Anyway, after a month of eating like that, my body felt abused - lethargic - not good.  So, we've gotten together with Debbie and Steven and decided to try the Paleo way of eating - to feel better, increase our energy, and shed the few pounds of holiday weight gain.  This is day three and I must say I'm feeling pretty darn good!  I'm posting pictures of my meals and snacks on Instagram (follow me - ChristaBDavis).  It has been fun to be so in tune with everything I'm eating - it takes forethought and planning, but we are enjoying paying attention to every little thing we put into our bodies.

The Paleo Diet is referred to as the cave man's diet - what the cave men ate way back when so lots of vegetables, meats, some fruit, nuts - but no dairy, legumes, grains, etc.  I love eating this way, but I must tell you that the one thing that I really miss - make that two things - are creamer in my coffee and cheese.  On day 1, I had a massive headache halfway through the afternoon - perhaps it was my body missing sugar (and by sugar, I don't just mean the sweet stuff - but rather the sugar that is in crackers, breads, etc.).  Yesterday (day 2), I felt fantastic and I didn't experience that mid-afternoon dip that I normally have. I had energy!!  This morning (day 3), Debbie and I ran and we were a little energy depleted.  We both typically get up early and run before we eat anything, but I'm thinking that we may have to start with a handful of almonds or something to give us some fuel for our run. But sitting here now, I feel terrific.  I had a great breakfast - sautéed spinach, scrambled egg, crumbled bacon and diced bell peppers.  I think I'll be full til lunch!

I'm curious to find out if not including dairy in my diet will make me feel different or better somehow.  Honestly, I hope not.  If not, I will re-introduce it next week and at least be able to enjoy coffee with creamer and the occasional slice of cheese :).  I'll keep you posted.

I made some fabulously wonderfully delicious chicken lettuce wraps last night.  I had 8 of them and Matt had about 8 as well.  That'll be my next blog post.

So, happy new year to you!  What is your focus for yourself as you begin this new year?

No comments: