Monday, June 10, 2013

Better than _ _ _ Trifle

Look what I just found!  I was just looking through all the posts I have started but haven't finished and I came upon this that I wrote last Summer after baseball season ended. 

July 2012:

Matt and I are trying to ramp up our exercise routine.  After a Summer of baseball tournaments, beach trips, late nights, sleeping in, it's time to get back in shape.  While I lose the craving for sweets when I ramp up my exercise, Matt's sweet tooth grows.  I thought it would be nice to surprise him and the boys with one of their favorite desserts- Better than _ _ _ Trifle.  Now, I call it "The Heath Bar Brownie Dessert" when I'm talking to my kids.   

It was brought to me originally as part of a Just Had a Baby meal.  I couldn't get enough of this stuff.  I would wake up in the middle of the night to nurse my newborn and would sneak into the kitchen to scoop myself a bowlful.  It made those middle of the night feedings tolerable - plus, I was nursing, so I figured that the calories zeroed themselves out. 

Many of you have probably made this or some version like it, but here is mine. 

Here are the players:


Bake a box of brownies according to the directions on the box.  Let them cool and then crumble them onto the bottom of whatever dish in which you plan to serve it.  Top the crumbled brownie with chopped up Heath Bar. 


Here I am unwrapping each little miniature heath bar and chopping.  This is a fun thing to let your kids do and a great way to let them practice chopping with a knife. 


Make a box of instant chocolate pudding according to the directions on the box. Spread that on top of the heath bar and then add more chopped up Heath Bar.


Top the whole thing with Cool Whip and then... you guessed it!... Top with more Heath Bar (and I used some extra brownie that I had). 

Whala!  You have yourself a heavenly dish that lives up to its name!  Enjoy!

Heath Bar Brownie Trifle

1 box of brownies
1 6-serving instant chocolate pudding box (made according to directions)
1 bag miniature Heath Bar
1 container Cool Whip

Bake your favorite box of brownies according to directions on the box.  Let them cool and then crumble and lay in the bottom of a big dish (or you can divide into smaller dishes to give out as little gifts). 

Make a box of 6 serving chocolate pudding according to the directions on the box. 

Unwrap and chop the heath bars into little pieces.

Time to layer away!  On top of the brownie, spread the chocolate pudding and on top of that, sprinkle a hefty portion of heath bar pieces.  On top of that, spread some Cool Whip.  Then sprinkle with the remaining heath bar pieces.  This is SO simple but the combination of flavors is to die for.  Perfect for a new neighbor, a new mom, your kids... enjoy!

No comments: