Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday Favorites 6/7/2013


I love sharing my favorite things. 

For years I have been hearing about a product called Iron Out.  A lot of my baseball mom friends use this on their kids' baseball pants to get the red dirt out. 


I don't know what took me so long, but this stuff is amazing.  So amazing, in fact, that I would probably feel okay about going door to door to sell this stuff.  It's like magic!  All these years, I have accepted the red stains and lived with them.  Well, no more, folks!

I pour a half a cup of the powder into a big Home Depot bucket and fill it with about a gallon of hot water.  I put dirty pants like this in:

Before I started using Iron Out, I would spray pants like this with Shout and wash them, and they always came out of the wash still red and stained. 

I let them soak for about 10 minutes - sometimes longer.  I rinse them well with water and then spray the grass stains with a product called AWESOME (Dollar Store!!) and let them sit a few more minutes.  When finished, they look like this:


Can you believe it?  It's magic!  Now, I must warn you that it produces some fumes.  In fact, I have inhaled so much of this stuff (while adding the hot water to the powder) that I've convinced myself I may have some abnormal cells growing in my lungs.  In all seriousness, do consider wearing a painter's mask or something of the like, when doing this.

On to my next favorite THING - and I love it!  First of all, let me just say that I LOVE the Container Store.  I feel like an organized woman just because I shop there from time to time (when the reality is that I'm really not).  I went in a few weeks ago to pick up a magnetic strip to hang all of Brooke's artwork, and I came across this sticky note weekly calendar.  Check it out:


It's the most wonderful little $9.99 purchase I have ever made.  I write all that we have coming up each week - so this Summer so far, it's full of baseball practices and games, doctor's appointments, reminders, etc.  I peel it off, place it at eye level on the wall beside my fridge and the kids can reference it whenever they want.  I LOVE this product!  I think it comes with 50 weeks, so you're set for almost a year!

And to wrap up this week's Friday Favorites, let's talk about eggplant.

I am having a love affair with this cute purple vegetable.  I eat it 5 times a week.  I can't get enough!  I wash it, slice it and sprinkle it with salt.


Then I cover it with a paper towel to soak up all the moisture that the salt brings out.  I let it sit anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours.


Can you see how wet the paper towel is?  The next step is that I squeeze each piece in a paper towel to remove just a bit more of the moisture - then I toss the slices with some olive oil - that's it - no need to add salt because you have already done that.  Lay them out in a single layer.


Then roast them in a 420 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.  I like mine pretty well cooked.


They are good hot or cold - but the best temperature is room temperature.  Mmm mmm - so delicious!  Eggplant is a good source of Vitamin K, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Potassium and Manganese, and a very good source of dietary Fiber.  Sounds good to me! 

Have a super weekend!

No comments: