Friday, December 2, 2011

Holiday Gift Ideas and My Love Affair with...

Chicken Broth.

Yes, chicken broth.  It has been going on for years and people are always surprised when I disclose this "secret" ingredient in my recipes.  I'm not sure I can even pinpoint when it started, but I cook with it quite a bit!  I use it when I make grits, noodles, rice, soups, etc. I have found that it gives a depth of flavor to simple tastes.  I have always added these little chicken bouillon cubes to water (1 cube per 8 ounces of water) in many recipes.  There is an organic version out there that is a bouillon paste and while it tastes good, I always go back to this one below.  It packs more of a punch which I like.

Wyler's Bouillon, Instant, Cubes, Chicken Flavor

Every year for Christmas morning breakfast, I make grits casserole from the cookbook, Tea Time at the Masters.  It is super simple and amazingly delicious - always a HUGE hit - both with adults and kids.  Instead of cooking the grits in water, I cook them in chicken broth (or water combined with chicken bouillon cubes).  I wanted to go ahead and share this recipe with you so that you can prepare it this holiday season.  I won't have any pictures because I haven't made it lately, but trust me when I say that it's delicious!

Before we get to the recipe, let's talk small gifts perfect for neighbors, friends, or teachers.

How fun is Christmas soap?  This is something that I LOVE getting because I never buy it for myself.  Bath and Body Works has a deal right now where you can buy 4 for $15.00.  One soap wrapped up in a cute holiday hand towel (think TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Target) makes a lovely gift and the price per gift is under $10.00!

Sweet & Soapy Anti-bacterial Hand Soap!

A mason jar filled with holly, Christmas tree trimmings, and magnolia with a shiny red bow makes a heartfelt gift for anyone.  Again, your cost is minimal!  Any venue that sells Christmas trees happily gives any of their Christmas tree trimmings at no cost.  A little of that coupled with the berries of the Nandina bush - in a jar with a red ribbon - it's just beautiful!

Find it hard to buy for a male teacher?  A homemade card with a $5.00 Starbucks card says, "I appreciate you."




A cute mug (Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx, Marshalls) with some fun holiday tea and a cute little tea topper from the Container Store - wrapped up in cellophane with a holiday bow - BEAUTIFUL for under $10.00!



More gift ideas to come. 

And rumor has it in our home that our elf, Lewis, should be coming soon for his annual stay....

Now back to Grits Casserole... mmm mmmm.  While I always serve this alongside a sausage/egg breakfast casserole on Christmas morning, I do make it throughout the year as well - it's great as a side dish to pork or chicken.  I will say that I usually TRIPLE the recipe for Christmas morning and double it any other time I make it.  I use either Quaker 5 minute grits OR special stone ground grits that I've been fortunate enough to receive as a gift from a neighbor every year.  

Grits Casserole:

1 cup uncooked grits
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups beaten eggs
 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
paprika to sprinkle on top

Cook grits according to package directions, cooking them in chicken broth instead of plain water.

Mix cooked grits with 1 1/2 cups of cheese.  Add beaten eggs and cayenne pepper.  Spray a Pyrex with Pam and add grits mixture.  Top with remaining cheese.  Sprinkle paprika over all and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.