Monday, January 9, 2012

The Difference a Year Makes

I was thinking this morning about how many changes have transpired since this time last year.  Last year, this time, we were snowed in for the first of 5-6 days of a complete white out! 



Today, the temperature is 65. 

Last year, Brooke was a newborn and we lived in our old house (and I could put her down and she wouldn't go anywhere, which means that more laundry got folded, more meals were home cooked - there was a little more...um....sanity coming from the matriarch).  :)


This year, she brings us so much joy with her energy and sweet personality.


Last year, we were living in our own home but feeling the desire for a little more space. 

This year, we are living with Mimi and Papa.... with the WONDERFUL news that we are under contract on our new home.  We move next month!!

Last year, my boys were at the same school, and this year, they are at 2 different schools - each new to our family. 

So, lots of changes between then and now - but that's how life is.  You just roll with it and try to keep up, right?

Brooke and I enjoyed a Fresh Market adventure this morning.  We picked up some good things. 


Have you tried these Banana Babies?  They are delicious and nutritious!  My boys love them and right now they are "buy one, get one free" at Fresh Market.  They come in a dark chocolate flavor as well, but my kids have not developed a taste for that just yet - so for now, we'll stick with the milk chocolate. 

I also picked up a jar of Wickles sandwich spread.  This sandwich spread is really spicy with a tinge of sweetness.  I made a sandwich today and used this spread as my condiment - along with turkey and spinach - and it added that flare that my sandwich needed.  I picked up some smoked honey turkey at the Fresh Market and plan to make sub sandwiches for dinner one night (along with a green vegetable and fruit as sides). 

I also picked up a single beet, which was nice to buy.  Usually, you have to buy the whole bunch and I never use them all unless I end up juicing one.  So, it was nice to be able to buy a single beet this morning.  I plan on roasting this with some butternut squash, broccoli and red pepper.  I will chop my vegetables into bite size pieces, drizzle with olive oil and salt - then bake at 420 degrees for 25-30  minutes.  YUM!

I made some buffalo chicken wraps last night that I'd like to share.  They were really good - I got the recipe from a website to which Pinterest led me. 

First, I boiled 2 chicken breasts (I used bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts), then removed the chicken from the skin and bone and shredded. 

Then I mixed the chicken with some Franks Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce. 


May I just stop for a moment and say that Franks Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce makes anything you put it on taste sinfully good, sinfully being the key word.  It was all I could do not to inhale the bowl of shredded chicken covered in sauce.  So, I started thinking that for years, the only time we ever tasted the buffalo sauce flavor was while we were eating wings, right?  That association was made (buffalo wing sauce - yummy sinfully good wings)... and so now, I can't speak for you, but when I use this sauce in a recipe, it tastes...well, sinfully good!

Alright, back to the recipe. 

I laid out egg roll wrappers and put a spoonful of chicken, broccoli slaw and blue cheese near the corner of each wrapper.


Then I folded them up like so:




I sealed them by putting a little water on my finger and rubbing the inside of the wrapper just before folding it up.  Then I put them all on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam. 


I sprayed a little Pam on top of everything and popped them into a 400 degree oven for 150-20 minutes, until lightly browned and crispy. 


I served them with more Franks Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce and some ranch as dipping sauces.  The only change I would make next time is that I would use regular shredded cabbage instead of broccoli slaw.  I love broccoli - steamed, raw, whatever - I love the way it tastes, but I am not a fan of broccoli slaw.  Just sayin'.