Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Losing My Cool

How was your Valentine's Day?  We had a really great day!  The kids popped out of bed yesterday morning with a pep in their step - wish I could think of a reason for great excitement everyday so that it wouldn't take them so long to roll out of bed. 

I prepared my little Charlie Brown-like decorated table the night before so they were excited to come downstairs to pink pancakes at a Valentine's Day table (I took this picture with my iPhone):


They ate happily and opened their little presents - it was as fun morning.  Then I went into Matthew's class and facilitated the Valentine's Party game.  I embellished an ice breaker we played at work.  I took a heart and cut it into 2 pieces - and put matching words or math problems on them.  So, one half said, "Lady" and the other, "Gaga"; one said, "20/4" and the other said, "5"; one said "Prince William" and the other half said, "Princess Kate" and so on... Each child got half a heart and had to find their match - once they found their match, they had to come to me to pick up their word search.  Did you know that you can do customized word searches online?  I did one and used words that pertained to their class, school, and Valentine's Day.  The first three teams to finish won prizes.  It was a fun game!  If any of you are doing a game for a party later this Spring, instead of hearts, you could use circles and call them beach balls.  At Christmas time, half the class could get Christmas trees and the other half stars... It was fun and the kids really enjoyed it!

After school, the kids did their homework and played for a bit.  We had early dinner reservations at 6:00PM.  As you know, we are moving next week, so I have been busy setting up utilities and so on... I had set up service with one company and then decided to go with another.  So, I called the original company to cancel (which they told me so long as I cancelled at least 24 hours in advance, I could easily cancel).  Long story short (Debbie got the long version on our run this morning :) ), 2 1/2 hours, SIX phone calls, one disconnected call, 4-5 different phone agents, an "F" bomb spoken by yours truly followed by some tears, "Sir, my son only turns 11 once and my whole family is inside celebrating and I'm out here talking to you...." I finally got the service cancelled and I'm all set.  I'm sure that AT&T has my name in HUGE letters somewhere with the words, CRAZY LADY, beside it.  After that marathon of phone calls, I had a couple of very LARGE glasses of wine.  I felt like what I imagine a high up executive feels like after a stressful meeting or something.  I was FIRED up!  

We had fun at Mo Mo Ya and came home to cookie cake and present opening.  It was really fun!  Matthew had a great birthday!

I want to share with you this really cool baseball shirt that's on the market for our kids.  When kids start pitching in baseball, things can get a little....well...wild.  The ball comes in FAST and HARD and sometimes may not be right down the middle.  Or your son (or daughter - shout out to Katie!!) might be on the mound when a ball is hit RIGHT down the middle - with no protection, this has the potential to be a devastating injury.  This purchase is an easy thing to do on the front end for major protection during the season.  It's called Evoshield chest and back guard.  Here is a picture that I copied from the website.  It retails for about $90.00, but it's amazing!  You buy the shirt and the pads come with it but they're soft when you buy them.  Then you put the shirt on, insert the pads and they mold to your son's body and sort of harden - in the front and in the back.  It's comfortable, light-weight and provides excellent protection.  It's available at a bunch of different stores including Jonquil and Better Baseball. 

CHEST PROTECTOR

I'll try to blog throughout the next week, but we close and move next week - Yay!!!  So, if I'm "MIA" for a bit, that is why!
 

No comments: