Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Other Side

I made it!!!  I made to the other side of the move!  I feel like I need to celebrate with two days straight of sleep or a HUGE party, neither of which I can do because there's too much still to do... But we are moved in and fully functional, for the most part, in our new home.  When I'm away from it, I miss it.

We closed on Tuesday and worked straight for three days - tackling things like painting, carpet, moving "stuff" over to the new house, cleaning up at Mimi's... I was fully disconnected from life as I know it - I did not answer my phone unless it was related to the move.  I turned on my "out of office" at work, and I worked on my house from sun up to sun down.  I had LOADS - an army, in fact - of help. My dad and father-in-law are my heroes - truly, my knights in shining armour. 

On Tuesday, I worked from home because I had to run over to our house a few times - to check on the painters.  I had to go into the office, however, to give a short presentation to our new employees, and my dad accompanied me.  It was such a fun time for us!  We worked the rest of the day on moving loads over to the house.

Papa's farm hand drove down to Atlanta and helped load up his truck and trailer with all of our miscellaneous "stuff" - all the stuff that is too small for the movers or too breakable - TVs, computers, clothes, papers, yard stuff, some furniture.  We worked all day long and I have to say... I loved it!  I loved working all day, stopping for lunch (and eating like a construction worker, I must say), and working some more.  There was something so refreshing to be away from life as I know it - no computer, hardly any cell phone talking - it was all about "fluffing the nest" here at home for my family.  I think I would enjoy a lifestyle like this - simple - work for a day's pay, eat well, enjoy family and that's it.  Doesn't that sound so nice?  I tire sometimes of all the excess - gossip, finding the right clothes for a certain occasion, computer, email, phone, rigorous schedules of having to be here and there... Anyway, no sense in going on about that because my life isn't like that.  I'm not a cowboy or a carpenter. 

Here we are driving to my house looking like the Beverly Hillbillies.  We drove no more than 25 miles per hour and there I was hanging my head out the window with my camera so that I could document it.


Everyone pitched in.  Mimi and my mom were inside cleaning while we were outside unloading the trailers.  Here's a picture of Benjamin backing up the trailer on our very steep driveway.  This is no easy task, let me tell you.  Lots of sparks flying from the place where the trailer met the driveway - loud noise of metal scraping cement, some skidding.  I think my dad had tears in his eyes out of pure joy that the truck and trailer made it up.




I loved the satisfaction of accomplishing all that we did.  I slept hard that night, and I know all of my "helpers" did, too.

On Thursday, my dad gifted me his painter, Paul, for the day. Paul, my friend, Chris, and I painted our den, kitchen and other den.  We worked for about 8 hours and transformed my house into "Davis" style.  My friend, Chris, is a master renovationista (I just made up this word).  She has a knack for interior design, so she picked out our colors - bittersweet chocolate and cappuccino white.  She helped us paint for several hours. 


She's this amazingly laid back, genuine friend with tons of talent.  Thank you, Chris!

My dad worked on window treatments for me this week - making sure the kids had proper window coverings.  My dad is Mr. Meticulous.  I know that when he does something for me, it's going to be done....right.  No shortcuts.  No rig-job.  Right and strong and sturdy.  He is truly a brilliant carpenter. Here he is after a long day's work sitting on my front steps enjoying an ice cold beer.  He brought his compass to find out exactly which direction my house faces.  Little things like this just fascinate and interest him.  I love it!


I have loved having him with me all week - he's such a funny guy, too - VERY entertaining.  In fact, when going through a box this week, I came across a mullet wig that Matthew wore for Halloween a few years ago.  My dad was on his way to Mimi and Papa's and we decided that he should wear the wig over there, so he did!  He's a hoot - enjoys life to the very last drop....everyday.  Shouldn't we all be doing that?

Bulldog Movers came on Friday and I expected the whole move to take around 5 hours (because we had moved so much stuff to the new house already), but it took 9 hours - 2 trucks, 6 movers.  I was never so happy to see someone leave my house!  We hit the bed around 11 that night.  

Here is our house:


I love my new house for so many reasons.  I love the culdesac street.  I love looking outside and seeing tons of kids playing.  I love my backyard with a play set and trampoline.  I love that we now have a basement... it's just wonderful for my family.  And yesterday, a neighbor brought us the most delicious dinner (which we shall enjoy tonight), and another neighbor brought us some pumpkin bread!  On top of that, Allison (my sister-in-law) and family brought us a cooler full of beer and tacos.  Can't beat that!

I hope today to get some pictures hung.  Small goals.  Can't make goals that are too big because we've got sports commitments and birthday parties that are going on throughout this moving process. 

As we settle in, I'll be blogging more.  I made some killer malted chocolate chip cookies before we moved that I want to share with you.  I'll be cooking much more regularly very soon. 

Thank you, Mimi, for keeping Brooke happy and well this whole week while we moved and thank you for cleaning at my new house.  Can you come back weekly?  :)  Thank you, Isa, for all of your months of taking care of Brooke while I work and especially the last few weeks of helping me pack and move.  Thank you, Mom, for cleaning my new house and for unpacking my ENTIRE kitchen on moving day.  Thank you, Dad, for spending your whole week with me working on window treatments and thank you for gifting 8 hours of your painter's time to make my house just the way I want it.  Thank you, Papa, for gifting us 8 hours of Benjamin's time to transport loads of stuff over to our house. Thank you, Chris, for helping us paint and make our house so beautiful!!  Thank you, Matt, for our beautiful home where I hope to make a lifetime of memories!

Thank you, Mimi and Papa, for NINE months of hospitality, generosity, and round the clock help.  Thank you for not one time making us feel like we were too much.  Thank you for all the  meals - all the babysitting, all the surprise folded laundry, all the glasses of wine that just appeared after a long day... I could go and on.  Sometimes in my crazy life now, I think, oh, when I'm older and retired, I can finally rest and chill out - sometimes that thought gets me through the craziness!  You were there in your mode of relaxation and we disrupted that - but we had a great time and it'll be 9 months of memories that we'll always cherish. 

My dad has a saying, "Short time live, long time dead."  Let's live it up!!

No comments: