Monday, April 23, 2012

Enchiladas and Fondue

The weather has taken a turn, my goodness!  Out with the Winter sweaters again!  Brooke has become accustomed to a plethora of outside time on a daily basis - be it in our culde sac or at the baseball field.  She is going a little stir crazy today - not that it's 30 degrees or anything - but I just don't have desire to feel chilly outside - so inside we remain... .This cold weather is making me in the mood to eat Chicken Pot Pie ala Allison (my sister-in-law).  I shall blog about that later this week. 

For now, I want to share with you what I did with my leftover smoked chicken last week.  Last Sunday, we smoked 4 big chicken breasts on our Big Green Egg.  Mmmm mmmm - they came out juicy and delicious.  The five of us only finished off 2 of them, so I decided to shred the meat from the other two and make enchiladas!  I also had some leftover black beans and rice that I wanted to use, so I put that in my enchiladas as well.

There's no real recipe here - just using leftovers.  I make enchiladas when I have leftover baked potatoes, brisket, pot roast, etc.  Here is what I needed:


I used flour tortillas (I've tried to use whole wheat but my boys won't eat them), Mexican shredded cheese, Old El Paso enchilada sauce and my leftover black beans and rice.

I assembled the enchiladas:


Just a little chicken, rice, black beans and a sprinkle of cheese. Then I rolled them up & placed them side by side in a Pyrex and poured the enchilada sauce over all of them. Lastly, I sprinkled the dish with cheese.


I popped them in a 350 degree oven and baked them for about 25-30 minutes.



I probably could have used another can of enchilada sauce, but I only had one so that's what I used!  They came out delicious and my family polished off every single one! 

I also made a very quick fondue the other night.  I thought I took pictures of the "process" (hardly a process with only 2 ingredients and 10 minutes of time), but I can't locate them, so I'll just tell you what I did!

I poured 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream into a small pot and heated it up.  Then I added 6 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips.  I stirred until it was all smoothly mixed together.  I added a pinch of salt and folks, I had fondue!!  While it was heating (on low), I cut up strawberries and pound cake (freezer section at Publix - Sarah Lee, I believe).  I gave the kids a plate with the fruit and cake and a small bowl of fondue, a toothpick and they were in heaven!!  The amounts I used were perfect for us - if you are entertaining guests for dinner, I would double this recipe. 

Surprise your family with this and they'll think you're the greatest!!  Or make it the next time you have guests over for dinner.  I served everyone and then sat with the pot that had the chocolate sauce on the sides and bottom and I practically licked it up!!  It was delicious!  Chef, beware!  This stuff is too yummy to resist!




No comments: