Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Vomit Flavored Salad Dressing

I have just written the post that you're about to read below.  I have come back up to the top to say that I am tired and a little slap happy right now.  I'm really cracking myself up with my blog title.  Who needs wine when you're sleep deprived?  Seriously, I'm so tired that I'd probably fail a sobriety test with absolutely no alcohol in my system.  :).  So, I hope I haven't offended anyone with my title.  Read on....

**********

I have three kids.  That is something I truly never thought I would say.  Still makes me smile and feel all warm and fuzzy inside (for many years, I thought I would be the mother of only 2).  How wonderful it feels to be blessed with three wonderful (and at times, frustrating), beautiful (and at times, well, dirty) and healthy children.  I love when we're all together chilling out at home - that is starting to happen less and less as the boys' sports commitments grow as well as their desire to spend more time with friends.  As exhausting as it can be preparing a meal while chasing after a toddler and raising my voice at the boys to please put their dirty clothes IN the hamper (not beside it, around it, in the hallway, bathroom, etc.), I do love when we're all together.

That said, it's nice to have a bit of a break as well.  Now, when we had just one child, it felt like a break when we had a babysitter.  When we had just the two boys, it felt like a break when just one of them spent the night out.  And now with three kids, it is still a break when one of them is away.  Tonight I had the pleasure of spending time with Champ and Brooke - two nights in a row, actually!  There's a certain calm in the house with just the 2 out of the 3 kids here.  We ate dinner (black beans, yellow rice and a salad) and followed that with a little stroll down the street - such a good time to chat with each other and talk about whatever is on our minds.  Champ and I put Brooke to bed and then he and I played a fun game before reading a little of his book.  I love evenings like this!

Do you know what I also love?  (I'm starting to feel a little bit like Laura Linney's character in The Truman Show, but I promise I'm only sharing this stuff because I like it - that's it - no other reason).  I love Wallaby Organic Creamy Australian Style Lowfat Yogurt. 


This stuff is DELICIOUS!  Now, I'm a big fan of Greek yogurt - mainly for its high protein content.  While this Wallaby yogurt is not Greek yogurt - in fact, it has more carbs and less protein - it's amazingly creamy and delicious.  It costs 99 cents at the Fresh Market.    I just finished one (vanilla flavored), and I'm so sad right now that it's gone.  It's like dessert - but it's guilt free!  Perhaps I'll open another one.

I also recently discovered sweet potato tots at the Fresh Market. 




These things are to die for.  They are sooo good.  Brooke and I love them.  My boys prefer regular tator tots to these, but I'll continue to make them and hopefully they'll come around.  They are so good... I encourage you to pick up a bag next time you're at the Fresh Market!!  They are crispy on the outside and wonderfully sweet on the inside...mmmm mmmm!

It's funny - I was at the Fresh Market a few days ago and I saw this new yogurt based salad dressing on the shelf.  The bottle looked kind of cool - it was a Caesar dressing - and it looked creamy and delicious from what I could tell.  I thought that it would be really great to be able to enjoy a HEALTHY Caesar dressing.  So, I bought it, all the while thinking that I would blog about how tasty it was.  Well, we were having salad that night and I used it.  (I'm kind of feeling sick right now just recalling this).  I wanted to make myself like it, so I chewed my salad and kind of concentrated on the flavor - when really, I didn't like it at all.  I didn't say anything for fear of changing the rest of my family's minds if they were enjoying it.  So, I continued to choke it down.  Well... leave it to ol' honest Matt to say, "uh...this dressing tastes kind of like vomit."  Let me tell you that he nailed it with that comment.  He was exactly right!  It was SOOO disgusting and gross, this dressing.  We had a great laugh over it - all of us - and we ditched the salad for the evening.  The dressing is still in my fridge because I hate to throw away a brand new bottle.  Let me know if you're interested in trying it!  :)

Tonight, we had a simple dinner of yellow rice and black beans. We put a big dollop of sour cream and salsa on top and serve it with a salad - and that's our meal!  It's EASY, economical, protein filled and delicious!  I usually drain the black beans and then cook them in a small pot in hicken broth.  They taste so good! 

I'm thinking that tomorrow night I will shred the chicken that we cooked on our Big Green Egg two nights ago and make enchiladas.  We love Mexican food at our house!

That's it for now.  I'm tired after a long day and my big boys are just getting home from a late baseball game (I still think that a 7:30 baseball game on a weeknight is too late for such young chaps).  Time to call it a night and rest up for another wonderful day tomorrow!



No comments: