Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Back to School Week of Meals

Time is constant and it's always the same.  A minute is always 60 seconds... right?  This Summer, I feel like minutes have lasted only 30 seconds, hence my shock at the fact that it's Back to School time already.  I'm not ready!  I want more pool days, more days when I don't have to fix a lunch, no homework to deal with... the list goes on and on! 



My boys have a few more days between now and school beginning, but I know many of you have already put your kids on the bus.  Even though it's a month too early, in my opinion, back to school is a fun time - it's a fresh start to a brand new year,  That's why I love mornings, too - it's a fresh start to a brand new day. 

I'm thinking about what to cook the first week, and I'll share with you my menu. 

MONDAY

(First Day of School)

How about some french toast for breakfast with a side of turkey bacon and a small bowl of fruit?  I always go "old school" on the first day and have warm chocolate chip cookies waiting for them when they get home (recipe coming this weekend!).  And for dinner, I think I'll serve my (Allison's) Chicken Pot Pie with a fresh fruit salad.

TUESDAY

I'm thinking grilled chicken (marinated in K.C. Masterpiece Lemon Pepper marinade), a green vegetable (let's make it easy and cook a can of green beans, rinsed, and simmered in chicken broth for an hour or more {lid on}), and potato casserole.  I have growing boys and potato casserole is just what they need after a long day at school.  (see bottom of blog post for recipe with pictures!) 

WEDNESDAY

Tuscan White Bean Soup with Rosemary.  YUMMY!!!  I found this recipe in the Atlanta Journal and Constitution several years ago. Yes, it's hot soup and it's still really hot outside, but it's good for you, delicious and comforting - just what kids need during their first week of school.  I'll serve this with grilled cheese (for the kids) and a salad (recipe coming this weekend). 

THURSDAY

How about some breakfast for dinner?  We do this about once a week during the school year.  I'm thinking either scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, toast and fruit or whole wheat pancakes, turkey sausage and fruit. 

FRIDAY

MEXICAN!  I grew up going to El Toro on Roswell Road every single Friday night.  When I got old enough, my best friend, Ann, and I would sit at our own table and devour basket after basket of chips with cheese dip.  Our parents sat at the biggest table in the corner of the restaurant and would stay there laughing and carrying on for hours.  Fortunately, El Toro (back then) had a huge arcade - - -which is where I learned to play what became my greatest skill.... Ms. PacMan.  I turn into a kid even now every time I see this arcade game.  It might be my favorite pass time, though I rarely have the chance to play it.  I would totally love to get the real arcade game to put in our basement.  Maybe I'll put that on my list for Santa this year. 

Anyway, back to Mexican.  Because of how I grew up, I am wired to crave Mexican every Friday night.  After a week of cooking, I hope to go out and enjoy some salsa and tacos - with an ice cold beer, of course!

Below is the recipe for the potato casserole. 

Potatoes Deluxe (from the Marist Cookbook 1990)

4 large baking potatoes
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups light cream (I use half and half)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, grated (I use a block of cheese and grate that as opposed to a bag of shredded cheese)
1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup sour cream

Cook potatoes and then refrigerate until cold.  I usually microwave my potatoes (takes about 15 minutes for 4).  Grate unpeeled potatoes on large side of grater.  Melt butter and combine with cream, salt, pepper and grated cheese (the cheese doesn't melt all the way). 

Place shredded potatoes in a greased 9x13 pan.  Pour cream mixture over potatoes (the cheese will settle on top so be sure to spread it around).  Sprinkle chives over all.  Bake in 300 degree oven for 35 minutes.  Remove from oven and top with crumbled bacon and sour cream.

This is a divine potato dish - very simple, but soo good.  I will be indulging in just a little of it, but I hope my boys (and Brooke) devour it!  I made this all the time back when we used to entertain a lot prior to having kids.  I have tried this with frozen shredded potatoes and shredded cheese and it's just not as good - so take the time to shred the potatoes and the cheese - it won't take a lot of time and the taste will reflect your efforts, I promise!

Here are my pictures. 


Some of the potato skin gets grated with the potato which I love - makes it look and taste more farmy or authentic.




I usually dollop sour cream on top of each serving.  Isn't it pretty?  Mmm... mmm.. it's good.

Hope the first week went/goes well for you and your family. As much as I hate to say goodbye to no schedule, there is a part of me that delights in the freshness of this new school year and the beginning of a routine. Treat yourself, moms, to a girls' night out... after all the forms, carpools, early mornings, packing lunches, helping with homework, etc. - you DESERVE IT!  







No comments: