Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Blaxican



How fun is the name, BLAXICAN?  It was fun enough for us to arrive at the Food Truck park with very hungry stomachs and wait an extra 20 minutes for it to open on Saturday!  Describing their cuisine as Mexican soul food, this food truck delivers some tasty, flavorful items.

Before Saturday, I had only experienced food truck cuisine one time - at work.  How fun is that?  Our wonderful executive leaders at Children's (thank you, Linda!) treated all of the employees in HR to lunch from a food truck which came out to our location and set up in the parking lot.  It was a sandwich food truck and it was super good!!

Well, after that lunch experience, I looked into food trucks in Atlanta and thanks to my friend, Emily, I discovered the Food Truck Park online.  I thought that it would be a fun Saturday excursion - to get us out of our Sandy Springs bubble and take a short field trip down to Howell Mill and I-75 and enjoy some good eats.

I HIGHLY recommend this experience.  So, we exited the highway and could see it on the corner and I was like, "What?"  It was just kind of... there...in a gravel parking lot.  There were a few trucks - some tables with umbrellas - a lady selling jewelry, some produce stands and a lady spinning some 1970's music.  We parked and walked up to the "park" where we were faced with some decisions to make - so many food trucks to choose from!



How cool is this woman's hair??!!!
I had read about the Blaxican online and after my good run on Saturday morning, I wanted to eat some Mexican soul food, but it wasn't open yet.  Champ was starving - and thus, irritable...


So we bought some sesame fries and sriracha cheese dip which instantly lightened the mood.  YUMMMM.... I had about 3 fries - and every bit of the three of them was finger lickin' good!


Champ wanted a hot dog, so for $2.50 he got his hot dog where he could have any and all of a long list of toppings (cheese, chili, sauerkraut, onions, ketchup, mustard, tomatoes, etc.) and he opted for a plain dog.  Matt and I shared (from the Blaxican truck) a collard greens quesadilla and steak tacos.  Boy, was all of it good - so juicy and full of flavors that melded so perfectly together!!!


We enjoyed people watching, eating our delicious food and listening to music.  Of course, we finished our meal off with a little dessert...

I'm savoring and studying every last bite of my chocolate sea salt popsicle from King of Pops.  When I tell you that this thing was delicious, I mean it was DELICIOUS.  I was so sad to see it go.  Champ and Brooke shared some Italian ice.  

There are so many great chefs in the world who can't or choose not to open a restaurant but have amazing culinary talents - and starting a food truck is the perfect avenue for them!  We plan on going back again - hopefully soon!  It was fun to leave our normal bubble and see something different.  I highly recommend this experience!





No comments: