Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday Favorites 8/3/2012

My first favorite this week is happiness...happiness that Matthew, at 11 years old, has just changed his first dirty diaper.  He, the boy who before today wouldn't touch a dirty diaper that was all folded up and ready to be thrown away, has just changed Brooke's first diaper.  Woo hoo!!

LARABAR
 
I mentioned these yummy bars in my last post.  I came across these bars recently and instantly fell in love.  I am thankful for Lara, creator of this bar, because in my opinion, she really has a great concept with these bars.  I love them because not only do they taste good, but they have REAL and very few ingredients.  My favorite flavors are Cashew Cookie (made with cashews and dates) and Uber Roasted Nut Roll (made with roasted almonds, cashews, brown rice syrup, roasted peanuts, dates, pecans, roasted macadamia nuts, honey and sea salt).  I love when I can look at a list of ingredients and know what each of them is!!  They are under 2 carb servings per bar which is great for a diabetic diet, and they have some protein, iron and much more, depending on your flavor. 

I realize that food is very subjective.  While I LOVE the Cashew Cookie flavor, it's not Matt's favorite.  A co-worker friend of mine loves the peanut butter chocolate chip flavor and I don't like it at all.  I encourage you to pick up a few (they cost a little over $1.00 - though if they were twice as much, I'd still buy them - I like them THAT much!) and find your flavor of choice - they're tasty, a great on-the-go snack, and they're CLEAN with very few but identifiable ingredients.  Brooke loves them!

EARLY CHRISTMAS SHOPPING!


I know, I know.  It's only August, but I have started!  While I was down at the beach, I spotted a few things that I thought would make great Christmas gifts, so I picked them up.  I made my list where I list everyone for whom I buy and then jotted down gift ideas for each one, and my goal is to be done by the end of September - done with everyone but the kids, that is.  Then when December rolls around and we put our tree up at the first of the month (sometimes as early as Thanksgiving weekend), we'll have wrapped presents ready to adorn the tree skirt - and I won't be stressed about having to find time to shop!  Tackling this early is the way to go - I highly recommend it!  Simple as that! 

I love Etsy!  I've known about www.etsy.com but have never gone to the site until this week.  I've already picked out some adorable Christmas presents!  It's all handmade stuff - be it clothes, jewelry, toys, quilts... and much of it is very affordable.  Because the recipients of some of the things I plan on ordering also read this blog, I can't list the cute stuff I've found just yet.  But I recommend going to the site - it's the new pinterest for me!


Ahhh... isn't she pretty?  She is my new August to August calendar, courtesy of the Container Store.  Yes, some of you may think that it's "old school" of me to still be using a paper calendar, but thanks to my friend, Kerri, for introducing me to this calendar many years ago, I've grown accustomed to managing my life with this thing.  How perfect for a mom of kids in school that it starts and ends in August!  I'd probably do better switching fully over to the iCalendar on my phone, but for the next 12 months at least, I shall enjoy my pretty pink calendar.


Now THIS is a simple, no fuss appetizer for you... Parrano cheese, fig spread and crackers.  Throw it on a plate with a cute spreader and you're all set!  The taste of the Parrano cheese which is slightly sharp but also creamy coupled with the sweet fig spread is a delightful combination on a cracker. I like to use a buttery cracker with this like Ritz crackers.  It used to be that you could only get these at Whole Foods, but Publix now carries both the cheese and the fig spread.  It's a huge hit in my house amongst all of my family members. 

And HAPPY FRIDAY to you!  We are going to be tackling some back to school clothes shopping this weekend (wish I was still in school!) and some other honey-do's around the house.  We are thankful that we have one more week of Summer before the boys go back.  For all of you who start Monday, good luck!!  I hope to be back on my nightly cooking routine soon at which time I'll have much to share with you for good school night recipes. 

No comments: