Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Fun Food Shares


Before I left for our trip to Amelia, I was out running errands - grabbing toiletries, snacks, items for entertaining Brooke on the upcoming 6 hour drive down here, etc.  I was hungry and stopped at Cafe Posh in Sandy Springs to grab a salad - a falafel salad... mmm mmm.  Falafel is a middle eastern food made out of mostly chickpeas or garbanzo beans along with some spices and herbs.  I am not a vegetarian, but I do enjoy some choice vegetarian items like this salad or the veggie burger from Houston's... The salad at Cafe Posh is ENORMOUS and I sat at my kitchen table and ate every last bite.  Filled with lettuce, falafel, thinly sliced red onion, tomato, cucumber... to name a few - it all comes together with the dressing so deliciously.  And it's served with the freshest, warmest pita bread that I ended up sharing with my kids.  Trust me, with this salad, you don't need to waste the extra calories on the bread - you won't miss it! 


As I wrote a few posts ago, I have enjoyed bacon as a wrapping for some of my dishes here at the beach.  First, were the bacon wrapped cheese stuffed dates.  My mother-in-law and I talked yesterday and she voiced some confusion, rightfully so, about my bacon wrapped date post.  I must have enjoyed a glass of wine while writing because I replaced the word "date" with "fig" one time.  Please note that I definitely used dates and they were fresh - not dried. 

We went to our favorite fresh seafood market last weekend and bought some fresh salmon, scallops and snow crab.  We decided to make bacon wrapped scallops, and they turned out to be wonderful!!  The only ingredients I used were scallops and bacon!  The scallops were large so I had to cut them into thirds and then used a half piece of bacon to wrap each piece.  I cooked them in a skillet until the bacon was cooked.  Delicious!!



Here we are at the seafood market, awaiting our lunch.  Word has gotten out that not only does the market sell the freshest seafood in town, but they serve the BEST food at really good prices.  You can literally see the fisherman bringing in the fresh seafood, cleaning it and then the chefs cook it right there. 

I was sitting at our table messing with my camera as I told Matt and the kids to get together for a picture.  Someone who works there came by and said (or what I thought she said), "Would you like me to take the picture?" and she pointed to Matt and the kids.  I stood up and said, "Sure!!  Gosh, I always joke with my kids and tell them that they're not going to know what their mother looks like because I'm always the one taking the pictures..." and as I took a few steps towards her, she turned around and walked away.  I looked over at Matt who was shaking his head and laughing... Apparently (though not so apparent to me), she asked me if they were with me at my table or did they need a table.  This, my friends, is the story of my life.  :)  I mis-hear things all the time that make me look... well, stupid.  Fortunately, I am a confident woman and can laugh at myself. 



Of course, the most wonderful meal is any meal that you share with your loved ones....




No comments: