Monday, July 2, 2012

Sweet Dessert...and Teammates...

Brooke and I love our nightly bedtime ritual.  Once she calms down after her crying episode from not wanting to leave the "Matthew/Champ/Mommy/Daddy" party, we settle into her rocking chair and read books in her room.  She LOVES books (currently, she's very into Goodnight Moon and Anansi and the Moss Covered Rock) and after I read each one, she says, "Mo book!" in her cute little toddler voice.  We read 2-3 and of course, it's never enough.  Then I rock her and she snuggles up on my chest while I sing a song I learned long ago, "Rocking, Rocking to and fro... to and fro...." and so on.  When I stand up to put her in her crib, she points to the rocking chair and says, "Rocky rocky..." It's the cutest!  I savor each and every one of her little phrases because I know how quickly they will become just memories (& the way my memory is lately, I probably should write everything down).  Then I put her in her crib and we play a fun game where I cover up her feet and try to find them - she thinks it's hilarious and I can't help but just pour my love and laughter all over her.  So fun!

My boys know not to open the door during our nightly ritual.  As much fun as I think Brooke has with me, when Matthew or Champ (or Matt) comes in, I am quickly dismissed and it's all about being with them.  Then she gets happy and excited and boom... all the winding down has been erased and you know the rest.....So, they know that only in an emergency should they open the door.

Well, Matthew opened the door and said, "Mom, it's dad.  It's an emergency."


Oh no. My stomach dropped.

Turns out that Champ, while swinging at in inside pitch, knocked the ball right into his face. Bless his heart. They were on their way to Scottish Rite when Matt called because, as Matt said, "His nose is on the other side of his face." Well, of course, I started planning his funeral thinking things like, 'What if his brain was injured? Did the ball hit his eyes, too?  Can he see? Will he need surgery???' 

They got home at midnight and Champ was in one piece - swollen and turning blue around his nose and eyes.


Two days have passed and oddly enough, the swelling continues to worsen as does the bruising.  If not an alien, then he resembles that of an abused child.

I told Matt that we need to stick close to home while he heals lest anyone think that we beat our child.  We follow up with the ENT later this week. How lucky we are to only be dealing with a broken nose and not anything more.  He rode up with Matt to root his team on as they advance in the playoffs and when he got there, they all screamed his name with excitement and were so very happy to see him.  They showed him the wrist bands that they all made.




"4 Champ" - how sweet are his teammates?  That just makes my heart smile....

Even though he is out for what little remains of his Summer baseball season, he will be able to swim and have fun at the Fourth of July party.


Fourth of July week...

We are heading to a friend's house to cookout and hang by the pool, and we're taking dessert.  In honor of the holiday and with respect to the hot temperatures, a light and festive dessert will do.  I am going to pick up an angel food cake and slice it and put it on the outside of a big platter.  Just inside the angel food cake, I am going to put blueberries and sliced strawberries.  In the middle of that will sit a bowl of pudding dip.  I'll show pictures later this week, but wanted to go ahead and share this idea in case you are in need of a dessert for your own cookout.  The pudding dip is as follows:

1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 4-serving size package instant vanilla flavor pudding mix
2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped

In a large bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk and water.  Add pudding mix; beat well.  Chill for 5 minutes.  Fold whipped cream. 

That's it!  It's creamy, sweet and scrumptious - a perfect pairing with fruit and angel food cake or pound cake. 

Either at the beginning or at the end of my shopping experience at Target, I peruse the dollar bins.  Every single time, I convince myself that I need whatever item it is that I put into my cart. 

Like this little ice cube tray...  For one buck, I made these cute little star shaped ice cubes with it!  I thought it would be fun to make some red and blue ice cubes by using red and blue food coloring and either water or sprite.  That will make any cold drink feel a lot more festive! 




And how about these little flags?  Also available at Target (in the dollar bins), these fancy up any old potted plant. 




Happy Indepedence Day to you!  How blessed we are to live in the great U.S. of A!!




No comments: