Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sunday Night Barbecue

TO-DO's!  I love them!!  If I don't have a to-do, I get bored.  This has been a weekend full of FUN and productivity, the best kind in my opinion!  We enjoyed the lake yesterday with friends - wake boarding, surfboarding, knee boarding, tubing.... Then Matthew and Matt headed out early this morning to the Peach Kids Triathlon where Matthew competed in his third triathlon.  He had a great time, but he came home sore (we think from the lake) and exhausted!  Way to go MD!


After they arrived home, we went straight to work as we attacked Brooke's playroom in the basement.  We have a small room downstairs that is the perfect sized little playroom for Brooke and when we moved in, that was our "toss it in there because we don't know where else to put it" room.  Finally, after 5 months, we cleared it out!  Matt hung blinds in the rooms that needed blinds - it just feels so good to check things off our list! 

Around noon, we fired up the Big Green Egg and did what we do best - - - smoked a Boston Butt.  Matt bought a delicious Boston Butt and dry rub from Whole Foods.  We really enjoyed this "Three Beer" dry rub.


It was sweet and tangy and gave the pork the BEST flavor!!  We served that with baked beans, corn pudding (the Jiffy recipe), and broccoli salad (the one with the raisins, red onion, broccoli and bacon).  It was a yummy menu!!

For an appetizer, we enjoyed a dip that we tasted for the first time at the lake yesterday!  Our friends served the most wonderful cheese dip and I was surprised to learn that you can only buy it at Walmart or Kroger.  It's Jarlsberg Cheese dip that you can pick up in the deli section...


It is creamy and just perfect on a thin cracker.  I highly recommend that you pick some up for your next gathering - it's easy, ready to serve and oh so delicious!

I had fun setting our table tonight...


I have these little plastic candle coverings that sit at the base of the candle.  You fill the containers with water and then clip little pieces of greenery in the yard to fill it - isn't it pretty?  In hunting around for some things to clip I learned that as we move forward with our landscaping plan, I need to make sure we choose plants that yield flowers and pretty foliage. 

I could truly spend my life tending to all things related to a home.  I'd have a garden, some chickens, beautiful flowers and plants everywhere.  I'd put on my straw hat and my pink yard working gloves and clip and prune and pick ripe fruit and veggies all morning.  Then I'd make myself something fresh for lunch and enjoy it with a tall glass of sparking water.  After a nice shower, I would settle in mid-day and read my book - maybe take a 20 minute nap and then work magic in the kitchen with all the fresh pickins.  Perhaps this is what my retirement will look like?  Who knows... for now, I enjoy doing what small percentage of the above I actually do.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The dip is really tasty. I had it at a friend's house and we all raved about it and were shocked that it came from Walmart!