Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Spinach Bacon Quiche

My sister-in-law had a birthday Sunday (Happy Birthday, Allison!), and we had our annual birthday brunch at my house on Friday.  I worked last week and between that and sports, I had a very small window Friday morning to go to the store and get what I needed.  I needed something fast that I could prepare before she arrived so that we could maximize our talking time - it's so precious these days!

I decided on quiche.  It's quick, easy and very tasty.  It's basically eggs, cream, cheese and whatever else you want to throw in it.  I looked up a few recipes and finally settled on one by Paula Deen herself.  Now, I typically don't make her recipes because they are generally pretty caloric and high in fat.  That said, quiche is quiche - whether it's Paula Deen's or someone else's.  Sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind and just enjoy life's little fatty pleasures.  A small slice with some healthy sides and it makes a delicious meal!

I bought Pillsbury's pre-made crust, bacon, fresh spinach, Swiss cheese, and heavy cream, and I was ready to make it!  It took me maybe 8 minutes (max) to prepare. 

First, I put the pie crust into the pie plate.  I put 2 cups of chopped fresh spinach leaves in the bottom.  Then I chopped my cooked bacon (that I fried earlier when I was making some for the boys for breakfast) and sprinkled that on top of the spinach.


Then I added the shredded Swiss cheese on top of that. 


In a blender, I combined my eggs, heavy cream, salt and pepper.  I poured that into the quiche and popped the whole thing into the oven for an hour.  It came out with a beautiful lightly browned crust and my house smelled amazing!


I served it with roasted asparagus and mixed fruit with a dollop of Greek yogurt.  We had virgin mimosas (orange juice with sparkling water) with our meal.  It was delicious!  I meant to take a picture but Allison and I were having too much fun talking and I forgot about taking pictures.  We enjoyed it that morning and my family also ate it for dinner!  It is super quick and so delicious and a huge source of protein (eggs and cheese) and vegetables (spinach)!  I spooned some salsa on top of mine - and hot sauce.  

Click here for Paula's recipe

I have to share this picture of Daddy and his little princess.  My goodness.... she has his heart in a way that only she will ever have.  I'm seeing a tenderness in my husband that I've never seen before.  It's quite amazing!  He treasures every moment he spends with her and she sure adores him back. 











No comments: