Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Support Will!!!

Eight months ago, I got a text from my new friend, Jennifer Penn saying that her 8 year old son had suffered a stroke and was at Scottish Rite.  I was at the beach with Allison, my sister-in-law, and her four kids.  I remember moments before I got that text, looking at our kids running around, frolicking on the beach, without a care in the world, and feeling such happiness.  I read her text and went from utter happiness to despair.  I remember feeling sad, confused, angry... How could this happen to a healthy child?  A few weeks earlier, he and Champ were running around outside together playing like boys do!  Though I had only known the Penns for a few short months, her text hit me like a ton of bricks.  Will and Champ were on the same baseball team last Spring, and we were just getting to know the Penn family when this happened.

Devastating.  

He was playing at the pool one July afternoon when he complained of a headache.... he had a stroke that afternoon and has worked harder than you can imagine everyday since to regain that which most of us often take for granted - he wants to run, he wants to play baseball, he wants to be an active boy!

Here is a sweet picture of him in the hospital several months back.  The quality of the picture isn't great but I really wanted to share a picture with you anyway. 




How blessed he is to have survived the stroke and subsequent surgery.  He goes to physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy - he has tutors, participates in therapies I've never heard of -all in an effort to make a full recovery.  He is back in school and is trying so hard to regain normalcy.  While all of this has helped him significantly, he has a ways to go and he needs your help.
On April 28th, the Friends of Will Penn Foundation is throwing a BIG party to raise money for Will's recovery - the money will help offset the high cost of his therapies.  This is going to be a super FUN event - complete with delicious food, wine and beer, a fabulous silent auction, and super fun people.  Matt and I will be there and I hope you will come out and show your support.  It's going to be a great evening and the money from your tickets and silent auction items will go directly to the Friends of Will Penn Foundation.  If you're busy that evening, please consider making a donation to help Will. 

See the invitation below and please forward this to your friends and family.  The more, the merrier!


Email me if you have any questions.  I'd LOVE to see you there. 

No comments: