Saturday, March 31, 2012

Yummy (easy) Side Dish

It's eerily quiet in Atlanta, isn't it?  All the public school Spring Breakers are on their way out of the city.  I get to enjoy time with my oldest and youngest this week as Matt and Champ enjoy some father-son time of their own.  Matthew is at a birthday party that lasts all afternoon today and Brooke is taking her nap, so I think I'll hang more pictures and dabble in another house project (my list is oh, so long!).

I want to share with you an EASY recipe - so easy, actually, that it's probably embarrassing for me to even blog about it because you probably already make it.  I had a large Idaho potato sitting around and I was trying to think of a way that I could make it work as a side dish for the five of us.  I sliced it really thinly (probably about 1/4 inch think slices).  In a bowl, I mixed together some olive oil and several spices, all of which I can no longer recall, but I know I put dried rosemary, garlic powder, salt, pepper, thyme... I mixed it all together to make a liquidy paste.  I then dipped each slice into the bowl - to coat it with the mixture - then laid them flat on a cookie sheet.


Into a 400 degree oven they went for about 30 minutes.  I flipped them over half way.  This is what they looked like coming out.



My house smelled amazing when they came out of the oven.  They were crispy on the outside and so well spiced - and the inside (of the thicker slices) was tender and potato-y.  Yum.  The thin ones tasted like crunchy homemade chips - just delicious!  I gave the boys a little dipping sauce of good ol' Ranch dressing for their slices, and they gobbled them up! 

I'm hosting Easter this year at my house for our families - my first occasion to host in our new home.  I'm so excited!  Everyone will bring something, and I'll fill in the holes.  I'm thinking our menu will look a little something like this:

Honey Baked Ham
Biscuits or Rolls
Cabbage salad (the one with cabbage, baked Ramen noodles, sesame seeds, soy sauce, etc.)
Fruit salad
Lemon Squares

I haven't quite finalized it in my mind yet, but I want to do lemonade in mason jars, something like this: 



And, I think I'll make my tomato tart, which I'll share with you after I take some pictures of it.  It's beautiful, simple and delicious.  It would be a nice appetizer as we all arrive here from church while we're waiting for lunch to be served. 

I have no Easter decorations, so I need to head out to Target or Walmart and stock up on some decor - at the very least some glass bowls or big jars filled with plastic eggs.  Easter egg baskets still need to be filled this week - lots to do! Thank goodness sports is on a bit of a hiatus - provides a nice break!

Have a great week!

No comments: