Monday, September 17, 2012

After school snacks

Do you ever struggle with after school snacks?  I get into a rut where I feel like my snacks are boring.  My boys always get off the bus hungry.  In fact, last week, I thought Matthew might have passed out after I picked him up.  He kept telling me to HURRY HOME because he was dying to eat.  And then there is Champ who eats lunch at the breakfast hour (10:45) so he is always ravenous when he gets home.  What to feed these growing kiddos?

I always have a good supply of nuts on hand. The kids love pistachios and you can buy a huge bag of them for under $10.00 at Costco.  I keep them in a bowl on the kitchen counter as they are a great source of protein, fiber and are an antioxidant "power house." 

 
Every few days at the store, I buy bananas, and the kids love a banana cut up with a little drizzled honey on top.  I bought a nice jar of local honey from Lucy's Market which we all enjoy very much (and I've heard that eating local honey can help your "local" allergies - we'll see...) 
 
My kids (all three of them) love turkey pepperoni.  We eat it straight out of the bag!  Sometimes my kids want me to make an "appetizer plate" which includes crackers, sliced cheese, turkey pepperoni and olives. 
 
 
 
Super Pretzels have been a part of our family for years.  It takes 30 seconds to heat them up in the microwave and my kids love dipping them in either mustard or Ranch dressing.  They usually eat two at a time.
 
 
 
 
Yogurt is always a great after school snack because it's easy and full of protein.  I've tried all of the different Greek varieties with not much success as far as the boys are concerned.  They like Dannon Light Vanilla flavor.  And they like to sprinkle either wheat germ or granola on top.  This is a very common go-to snack for us. 
 
 
I like to occasionally bake some chocolate chip cookies or rice crispy treats for a special after school treat.  And recently, I took a stab at making some peanut butter bread!  It was delicious and super easy.
 
First, I whisked together flour, baking powder and salt.  Then I beat the butter and sugars until combined, mixed in some natural peanut butter, 1 egg and vanilla extract. 
 
 
Then I added the flour mixture and beat until incorporated.  The mixture was very crumbly. 
 
 
 
I added one cup of low fat milk and combined it all until it became a wonderful peanut buttery batter (that tasted amazing, I might add.  I almost stopped right here in the recipe to just grab a spoon, sit on the floor and eat the batter one spoonful at a time - but I didn't.).  Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan.
 


Bake it for an hour or a little longer (bake until a knife comes out clean), and it comes out looking like this:


YUM!  I let it cool completely (after I had a bite of a corner piece, of course).  Then I took a slice, popped it into the toaster and smeared some Smart Balance butter on top and just about cried it was so good.  You could also put jelly which would taste great on this bread, too - or honey!  Cream cheese!  You could put anything on this bread! 



The recipe is below.  What are your go-to snacks in the afternoons for your kids?  Please go to www.christabdavis.blogspot.com and comment on this post to share what your kids enjoy eating after school.  I need some ideas!
 
 
 
Peanut Butter Bread
 
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup milk
 
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan and set it aside.
2. In a small bowl whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together.
3. In a separate large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars until combined. Mix in peanut butter. Mix in egg and vanilla, scraping down sides of bowl. Add flour mixture and beat on low until combined, the batter will be crumbly. Pour in milk and beat on low until batter is smooth.
4. Add batter to loaf pan and evenly spread it out. Bake for one hour minutes or until your knife comes out clean.  Cool completely, slice, toast, and butter.... Have a glass of milk nearby!
 


No comments: