Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday Favorites 9/14/2012

Happy Friday!  At some point this weekend, I hope to enjoy a beverage outside on a patio - be it my own or at a restaurant - and soak up this beautiful weather!  Here are my favorites this week:


Nut Thins

I was intrigued when I saw these on the shelf at the grocery store.  You know me - I like rich, nutty flavors, so I picked up a box.


I really liked them!  One serving is 16 crackers (that's a lot!) and only 130 calories, 3.5 grams fat, 23 grams carbohydrates,


Mountain Khaki's



I just love this brand of clothing...for Matt.  I've never bought anything for myself from this company, but Matt has a few items and they are very durable, manly and just cool looking.  If you're starting to think about Christmas and want to find something cool for the man in your life, look no further than Mountain Khaki's!  Although somewhat pricey, you're getting good value for your money.  Matt has purchased shoes, pants and shirts from this company. 


Nutmeg grinder

I love my nutmeg grinder!  Given to me years and years ago by my dear friend, Irmela, I use this ALL the time.  Irmela is my "cooking mentor."  It is from Irmela where I learned how to love the process of combining foods and spices and turning them into something really special.  I think I have mentioned my German friend, Irmela, before.  Her son went to high school with Matt and me. I began working for a German company after college that was in the same building she worked.  We became fast friends and spent many hours together cooking and talking about food.  She told me to never use anything other than freshly ground nutmeg whenever a recipe calls for nutmeg.  And, by golly, I have never used anything other than freshly ground nutmeg!  It's flavorful and wonderful.  You can purchase a nutmeg grinder from almost anywhere - Bed, Bath and Beyond, Container Store, any kitchen store like Williams Sonomoa or Sur la Table.  And you can buy fresh nutmeg in any grocery store.  I recently bought a bag of three from Kroger where they keep the Mexican spices and foods - super cheap - totally worth it. 

I use nutmeg when making spinach, in certain baked goods recipes, and also when making a white bechamel sauce (key sauce that Irmela taught me how to make that I use in my chicken/spinach lasagna and regular lasagna).  So, even though I don't use it daily, I'm very glad I have it and highly recommend that you purchase one!

Muenster Cheese



I love this creamy yummy cheese.  I picked up a package of sliced Muenster not too long ago at the grocery store and I've been using it to make sandwhiches for the kids.  Mmm mmm. 

My kids (and Matt) like a hot sandwich with say... turkey and cheese or ham and cheese - more than they like a regular cold sandwich, and I've learned a few tricks along the way.  All in, it takes about 5 minutes to whip up a delicious warm sandwich. 

I take two slices of whole wheat bread and add mustard, Virginia or Honey Maple ham and muenster cheese (why I break the cheese up like this, I cannot say - I've just always done that). 


Then I put some mayonnaise on the outside of both pieces.  Stay with me here.  I use mayonnaise instead of butter because it's easier to spread on the soft bread and cooking with it gives the sandwich a beautiful brown yummy crust. 



I take it out of the pan when the cheese has melted, cut it in half and serve it with fruit.  For myself, I simply wrap a few pieces of ham around some of the cheese.  Delicious!

 
 
Here is Brooke with her cut up sandwich and sliced grapes.  That's one delicious lunch (and baby)!  









No comments: