Thursday, September 27, 2012

Fall and Roman Style Chicken

If you feel overwhelmingly busy and slightly anxious, I highly recommend that you have another child.  (smiley face).  Thank goodness for Brooke!!  We had a nice slow wonderful day on Wednesday - full of fresh air, laughter, lingering, playing, running... and every bit of it was wonderful!  The beauty of a young child is their innocence and desire to explore and experience - and every little thing is an experience - things that bore the boys like collecting leaves or doing front flips in the grass or looking at our neighbor's bunny rabbit - they amuse and delight her every sense.  I just love that and want to hang onto that forever! 

Fall is here - hooray!!  Now if the grocery store would start stocking the pumpkin spice creamer, that would just make it official for me.  I think I blogged about that last year. 

On Wednesday, Brooke and I hit several stores, one of which was Hobby Lobby.  My, oh my.  That was only the second time I have been and we loved every second.  It's like Michaels... only bigger.... and it's absolutely wonderful!  I could spend hours in there - it makes you feel crafty even if you aren't.  Between our Hobby Lobby visit and Home Depot, we took care of decorating our front steps:



While Brooke was eating lunch, I cleaned out our refrigerator. You see, I am one of those people who really likes to be organized but when it comes down to it, I tend to let things go a bit.  My fridge is the perfect example.  I clean and organize it often, but in between cleaning and organizing, I get busy and I throw stuff in there with no regard to neatness - sometimes... most of the time, I'm in a hurry!  It ends up looking like this:

 
So, I wiped it all down and organized the contents...


I feel like MTV Cribs could pay me a visit!!

So, after cleaning out my fridge, I decided to pay the freezer a visit and it's just too much in disarray for me to snap a photo of that, BUT seeing it prompted me to do a freezer clean out.  We have been taking something frozen out of the freezer every evening for dinner.  Last night, we enjoyed that wonderful Drip Beef I blogged about a few months ago.  It was every bit as good!  I tell you what... make a little extra each time you cook and freeze the leftovers - to be able to pull that out when I've had a busy day or just don't want to cook is just great.

Speaking of leftovers, I made a delicious chicken dish last year (while living with Mimi and Papa) that everyone loved - and the leftovers were better than the original dish!  I followed one of Giada's recipes word for word and it came out beautifully tasty.  (Not all recipes that I follow turn out to be very good.... but it's all about trial and error - it takes the not so good to make you really appreciate the good). 

It's called Roman Style Chicken and it goes a little something like this.

After seasoning the chicken with salt and pepper, you cook the chicken (3 big breasts and 3 thighs - bone in, skin on) in a little olive oil until the chicken is browned.  Put the chicken on a dish and set aside.

 
 
While that is cooking, slice your yellow and red bell peppers into thin strips, and chop the prosciutto.
 

 
Cook these in the same pan as you cooked the chicken - then add some garlic, canned tomatoes, white wine (mm mmm) and herbs. 
 
 
Scrape the yummy bits of chicken goodness off the bottom and sides of the pan and stir it all together - then add your chicken to the mixture and add some chicken broth.  Bring that to a boil, reduce and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. 
 
 
Your kitchen will smell so good and have everyone asking you, "Mom?  What's for dinner?"  Their mouths will be watering at this point. 
 
Your work is mostly done at this point - and totally worth the time.
 
Just before serving, you can add capers and fresh parsley. 
 

Mmm mmm - my mouth is watering just writing about this!  I haven't made it since that very first time, but I am going to make this next week.  I'll probably serve it with plain rice (the rice can soak up some of the yummy sauce) and a salad or steamed broccoli. 

Click here for the recipe.  Make it next week.  You'll be the hero in your family.




 
 
 
 


No comments: