Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Rainy Mornings and Spooky Stories

I have to admit that I LOVE rainy mornings -especially rainy dark mornings.  I just drove Champ to school and the sound of the windshield wipers filled the car as we chatted about how he hoped the rain wouldn't cancel his playground time at school.  I loved our conversation, the sound of the rain falling, the sound of the windshield wipers, the car and traffice lights - mostly that the rain and slick roads forced me to slow down.   I sipped my hot coffee and just enjoyed the ride to school.  When Champ got out and closed the door, I heard it - "my" song on the radio, and so I oiled my voice with a sip of coffee and I began yet another voice lesson with Adele as we sang, "Someone Like You," together.  Let me just say that I am one heck of a singer when I'm all by myself in my car.  My voice is as pure as the morning rain :)...until someone hears me and then it all turns to mush.  What a great car ride this morning!

Coffee.

Mmmmm... I love my coffee. I like for it to taste like a hot milkshake - with lots of cream and a bit of sugar (I gave up artificial sweeteners years ago).  I feel strongly about things that I eat and drink tasting GOOD.  Life is too short for light beer and boring coffee - that's my mantra.  I have always enjoyed creamer in my coffee - typically vanilla, except when the holidays roll around and Pumpkin Spice is available - then I'm all about the pumpkin.  Have you ever read the ingredients in these things?  The list is VERY long (lengthy ingredient lists in anything is usually a sign that it is full of artificial, processed ingredients).  I've recently discovered Natural Bliss.  It is made with only milk, cream and sugar and it tastes just as good as the other kinds!  Don't get me wrong, I scan the coffee flavoring section of the grocery store everytime I'm there and as soon as the Pumpkin Spice is available, I'll be enjoying that for the season, and I won't think twice about the long list of ingredients.  Natural Bliss™  Vanilla

On a spookier note, I had two strands of cute little pumpkin lights that, at our old house, I strung on our front steps along with our other decorations.  Here at my in-laws' house, I couldn't figure out where to put them outside so I wrapped them around the boys' bunkbed and decided that we would have "spooky storytime" every night leading up to Halloween.  I googled and read a dozen different spooky Halloween stories - trying to find one that wouldn't completely freak them out and keep them up all night but one that wasn't too weak, either.  I found this cute Halloween story, and they really enjoyed it.  We turned off all the lights so that only the glow of pumpkin lights filled the room, and we snuggled up as I read the story.  It only took a few minutes and the boys loved it (and of course, I loved the snuggling!)!  I think we'll make this a tradition every year.


I am Mystery Reader for Champ's class on Friday and I was thinking that I'd read this story to his class and pass around containers of cold spaghetti noodles (brains), peeled grapes (eyeballs) and sticks (bones) while I read it.  Matt thinks I'll be taken away in handcuffs for terrorizing the kids, but I think they may enjoy it!  I'll let you know how it goes...