Friday, October 28, 2011

Whole Wheat Pancakes


My household loves pancakes - who doesn't?  We like them plain - we like them all dolled up with fruit or chocolate chips - with or without whipped cream (on special occasions).  We eat them so much that I decided to try a whole wheat version.  I picked up Aunt Jemima's Whole Wheat Blend Pancake & Waffle Mix at Publix.  My kids couldn't tell the difference, but I could!  The whole wheat mix produces a pancake that is rich in taste and delicious!!  I've discovered that I really like earthy flavors (think roasted almonds) and these are very rich, almost nutty in flavor.

I whipped them up with cut up bananas and blueberries.



I added about a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a few hearty shakes of cinnamon to add a little flare to the recipe.



There is no trans fat in the mix and one serving contains 15 grams of whole grain!  Served with turkey bacon, it's a great breakfast for growing boys (and girls).  I typically double the recipe and put the leftovers in the freezer.  Then on a busy school morning, all I have to do is heat one in the microwave for an instant (but healthy) breakfast!  



No comments: