Sunday, October 30, 2011

Crisp and Tasty Snack Mix



Though it may look like it, this is no average snack mix.  Thanks to my friend, Kerri, she led me to this recipe in a Cooking Light magazine years ago.  It is incredibly tasty and so easy to make!  First you combine Crispix corn cereal, pretzel twists, Wheat Thins, and cheddar crackers of your choice (I used Cheese-Its). 


Then you mix together a little melted butter, ginger stir-fry sauce, chili powder, ground cumin and salt.  Sprinkle this over all.



Pour coated mixture onto a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam and bake at 250 degrees for 30 minutes or until crispy. 



To serve, I put a small piece of wax paper into a small bowl.  (Now, the wax paper really isn't necessary - but I like the way it makes it look - it makes feel like special, homemade snack mix).



I went to a Halloween Party last night and instead of taking a bottle of wine, I gave the hostess a hearty portion of snack mix in a cute little "sack."  I had some extra skirt fabric that I had ordered and didn't like it enough to make a skirt out of it, so I used a square of that to make the "sack."  I laid it flat and put 2 sheets of wax paper on the inside.



I then added a pile of the snack mix. 



I wrapped it up with a piece of shiny brown ribbon.



I felt like it needed a hint of green, so I walked into our backyard and clipped a few sprigs from my cypress plant and it gave the little "sack" some life!



I loved this hostess gift because it was "homemade" (now, I know I used a box of this and a bag of that, but the fact that I mixed the sauce and baked it makes me feel 100% right in calling it "homemade") - and the wrapping just gave it that extra umph it needed. 

I was thinking that this would make a great holiday gift for a neighbor or a teacher - even a friend.  We all get overloaded (gladly so, by the way) with sweet goodies during the holiday season - cookies, cakes, pies, candies, etc.  Wouldn't it be nice to give a serving of something that isn't oozing in sugar?  Wrapped in cute holiday fabric with a pretty bow and some holly, it would be adorable!  You can get well priced fabric at Hancock Fabrics. 

So, here's the recipe:

Crisp and Tasy Snack Mix

2 cups Crispix corn and rice cereal
1 cup tiny pretzel twists
1/2 cup reduced fat wheat crackers (I use Wheat Thins)
1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar crackers (I use Cheese-Its)
1 1/2 TBS butter, melted
1 TBS ginger stir-fry sauce
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
Cooking spray

1.  Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2.  Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl.  Combine butter, stir-fry sauce, powder, cumin, and salt; drizzle over cereal mixture, tossing to coat.  Spread mixture into jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 250 for 30 minutes or until crisp, stirring twice.

***I typically double the cereal mixture and quadruple the stir-fry sauce mixture - I like LOTS of flavor.  I double it because everyone in my family loves this and doubling makes it last a bit longer.

Enjoy!