Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sick Day - It's the little things...

I woke up this morning to, "Mom, I don't feel well."  Oh, no.  We've made it this far - so you could say that we were due.  My kids sound like they've been pack-a-day smokers for years.  Tuesday is one of 2 work days a week for me, but our typical "sick day practices" were still in full swing. 

So, we double up on our vitamins, take in lots of Vitamin C and rest.

When the kids are sick, I always make them a "nest" on the sofa.  The "nest" is merely a pillow (not a throw pillow, but a sleeping pillow from their bed) and a blanket - a fancy name for making them feel special when they're not feeling well.  Then it's a lot of fluids, reading, soup, oyster crackers, movie time, board games, cards - and today, a little lego building.

I'm so very fortunate and blessed to be in the living situation I'm in right now - living with my in-laws.  Our nanny took care of Brooke while Mimi tended to Matthew and Champ.  She came home from Target with a new box full of legos and some raspberry jello.  I had no reason today to feel guilty for being at work because I knew all day long that they were probably in better care with her than they would have been with me!  Though, it did make me feel good when Matthew called me mid-day and said, "Mom, are you almost home?  I want you to make a nest for me."

When I got home from work, I fluffed Matthew's "nest" and made him a glass full of crushed ice with white grape juice and a green straw.  I've found that it's these little things - this attention to detail - that make them feel special.  He wrapped himself up in his snuggy and sipped on the apple juice over crushed ice and he went to bed feeling better!


 What are the little things that you do to make your kids feel special and cared for when they're sick?  I'd love to know...

And those of us with dogs know that they suffer from very real sympathy pains....




To follow it up this morning, Matt went to Arden's Garden to pick up a jug of "Fresh Nutri-Boost Recovery" smoothie."  


This stuff is amazing!  Arden's Garden is on Roswell Road just north of Piedmont.  I love Arden's Garden because their smoothies are made from pure fruit - not from a ton of powders and additives like a lot of other smoothie companies use.  This has 425% daily value of Vitamin C and is made from apples, oranges, strawberries, bananas... It stimulates the immune system to fight colds, flu and infection.  (too bad we didn't start drinking it BEFORE the kids got sick)
It costs $12.00 (64 oz) which is a good price, in my opinion.  
So, if you feel a cold coming on, pick up a jug of Complete Recovery, make a "nest" on the sofa and feel better soon!